Tuesday, April 17, 2018

17. Auto Cocktail


This is the drink also known as the Automobile Cocktail. Being still on the page 42 of the 1933 Edition and therefore lacking the specific vermouth attribution, we continue to apply comparative historic mixology and consult the 1916 Edition:
That’s certainly clearer. Once again, we are informed not only that the Vermouth is French but that the Gin is (Old) Tom. Curiously, most recipes today seem to call for Sweet or Italian Vermouth

My interpretation:
  1.25 oz Vermouth (Casa Mariol Negro or M&R Extra Dry)
  1.25 oz Uncle Val’s Restorative Gin
  0.75 oz The Famous Grouse Blended Scotch Whisky

Shake over ice, strain and serve. Garnish with lemon. Note that I decided to try both, and I have to say it’s close, but I lean toward the Dry. I’d certainly accept either if I were offered it. For a sweeter, more Scotch-heavy variant, see the Butcher (No. 65).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Turning the Page

Greetings! We have come to the end of the Cocktails section from Jack’s Manual (1933). In the process of our study, we have discovered so...